Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is a super solvent that can dissolve almost anything and carry it in solution. In the 1960s, medical research with DMSO showed it could not only dissolve substances, but it could also penetrate human skin and carry the dissolved substances along with it! This is remarkable, because human skin is impenetrable to most substances. It also turns out DMSO is more "liquid" than water, and it can therefore penetrate to places in the body nothing else can reach so fast. DMSO substitutes for water and moves rapidly through cell membranes.
So how does DMSO work? It neutralizes hydroxyl radicals. This is remarkable considering that hydroxyl radicals are:
Present in cancer and in atherosclerosis.
The predominant cause of pain and inflammation in arthritis.
Known to be produced in lipid per oxidation, which is thought to be the source of many degenerative diseases.
Uses of DMSO may include (but not limited to):
- It relieves pain and swelling, relax muscles, relieve arthritis, improve blood supply and slow the growth of bacteria.
- It relieves the pain of sprains and even of broken bones.
- It enhances the effectiveness of other pharmacological agents.
- It relieves the pain for sufferers of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, burns, sprains, back and neck problems
- Studies demonstrate that it protects against the tissue damage induced by radioactivity!
- It serves as an excellent antifreeze, preventing tissue damage ordinarily caused by freezing conditions.
- It controls the swelling of the brain and spinal cord following traumatic injury. If given intravenously within ninety minutes of a stroke, it prevents much of what would become permanent damage to the central nervous system.
- It has an antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal effect.
- It can help eliminate various skin diseases including herpes, cataracts and glaucoma, retinal degeneration, scleroderma, shingles, bunions, calluses, fungus toenails and asthma.